Readership: 1) Conductors starting their careers
2) Graduate students studying conducting (there is no current text book available)
3) Experienced conductors wanting to move up in the field
4) Orchestra musicians who want to be conductors
5) Executive Directors who want to broaden their knowledge.
6) Staff members of orchestras who help program pops and children's concerts
7) Concert attendees who want an inside look at the field
8) Conductors in other countries who want to work in the United States
Diane Wittry, Music Director, Allentown and Norwalk Symphony Orchestras
Diane Wittry is currently the Music Director of both the Allentown and Norwalk Symphony Orchestras and a frequent guest conductor for numerous orchestras, both in the United States and throughout the world. She is the recipient of many honors and awards, including the American Symphony Orchestra League's 1996 Helen M. Thompson Award, which recognized her outstanding artistic leadership with a regional orchestra.
"this is a terrific roadmap for those with eyes to see ... this is not just a guide to such mainline stuff as musical training, 'being organised', negotiating contracts and planning repertoire for different contexts. There's advice in such areas as how to handle orchestra board members ... and the thoroughly modern awareness conductors must have of their part in raising the funds that keep orchestras going." - Classical Music Magazine