Readership: Musical theatre enthusiasts,
music scholars, general readership interested in American music, popular music, jewish immigrants.
Jeffrey Magee, Associate Professor and Chair of Musicology, University of Illinois School of Music, United States of America
"Magee's critically incisive and illuminating portrait, copiously illustrated with lyrics and musical excerpts, sets the bar impressively high for any future explorations of Berlin's achievements on Broadway." - Classical Music Magazine
Introduction: Irving Berlin's Century
1. Irving Berlin's Theater
2. Legitimate Vaudeville: The Dillingham Shows, 1914-1915
3. Berlin's Follies, 1918-1919
4. "America's Greatest Show": The Music Box Revues, 1921-1924
5. "An Ideal Combination": Berlin, Kaufman, and Hart, 1920s-1930s
6. Musical Theater of War: This Is the Army, 1942-1945
7. Something for the Girls: Annie Get Your Gun, 1945-Present
8. State of the Union: Berlin, Lindsay and Crouse, 1950-1962
Conclusion: "This Is America"