St Paul's was the principal church of London from its foundation in A. D. 604. This volume is an edition of all the surviving documentary material from St Paul's from the seventh century to 1066, with expert analysis and commentary on the history of the bishops and the cathedral community within the city and diocese, considered against the background of London's history during this period. The medieval archives of St Paul's suffered at times from neglect, and as a result the majority of the Anglo-Saxon charters of the bishop and chapter are preserved only as fragments in the notebooks of two seventeenth-century scholars who studied a crucial manuscript before it disappeared at the time of the Commonwealth. These excerpts are here edited with full
diplomatic and historical commentary, which makes it possible to resurrect to some extent the full documents. The edition of the charters is prefaced by an extended introduction which provides an important new synthesis of the history of London and St Paul's in the Anglo-Saxon period, complete with an extensive bibliography.
Readership: Scholars and students of medieval history and ecclesiastical history, local historians
Edited by S.E Kelly, Research Fellow, Medieval History, University of Birmingham