Readership: This book will be of interest to scholars and teachers of law, politics, modern history, and development studies. Lawyers, judges, and policymakers in India and other South Asian countries will also find this book useful.
Edited by Sunil Khilnani, Professor of Politics and Director, King's India Institute, Vikram Raghavan, Senior Counsel, Legal Vice-Presidency, World Bank, and Arun K. Thiruvengadam, Assistant Professor, Faculty of Law, National University of Singapore
Sunil Khilnani is Professor of Politics and Director, King's India Institute; Vikram Raghavan is Senior Counsel, Legal Vice-Presidency, World Bank; Arun K. Thiruvengadam is Assistant Professor, Faculty of Law, National University of Singapore.
1. Modelling 'Optimal' Constitutional Design for Government Structures: Some Debutant Remarks (Upendra Baxi)
2. How to Do Comparative Constitutional Law in India: Naz Foundation, Same Sex Rights, and Dialogical Interpretation (Sujit Choudhry)
3. Constitutional Developments in a Himalayan Kingdom: The Experience of Nepal (Mara Malagodi)
4. Separating Religion and Politics? Buddhism and the Bhutanese Constitution (Richard W. Whitecross)
5. The Democratic State and Religious Pluralism: Comparative Constitutionalism and Constitutional Experiences of Sri Lanka (Deepika Udagama)
6. Constitutional Borrowing in South Asia: India, Sri Lanka, and Secular Constitutional Identity (Gary J. Jacobsohn and Shylashri Shankar)
7. Inheritance Unbound: The Politics of Personal Law Reform in Pakistan and India (Matthew J. Nelson)
8. Religious Freedom in India and Pakistan: The Matter of Conversion (John H. Mansfield)
9. Pilate's Paramount Duty: Constitutional Reasonableness and the Restriction of Freedom of Expression and Assembly (T. John O'Dowd)
10. Constitutionalism and the Judiciary in Bangladesh (Ridwanul Hoque)
11. Revisiting The Role of the Judiciary in Plural Societies (1987): A Quarter-Century Retrospective on Public Interest Litigation in India and the Global South (Arun K. Thiruvengadam)
Afterword by Michael Kirby
About the Editors and Contributors